Saturday, March 3, 2018

Loyal

This is this coolest morning in over a month. It's Saturday and nothing is planned until much later today. I slept in, but as I rise at 8 o'clock, no one else is stirring yet. Amazing. I quickly prepare a pot of coffee and gather my materials to set up camp on the patio. The cool spring air, chirping birds, and Jesus are calling to me. And the gift of free time is exhilarating.

Buffles, our Goldendoodle, follows me out, of course. She often stays close by as I navigate my day.  I crack open the screen door so she could romp around in the yard and chase squirrels while I read. I walk her out and she wanders into the green dewey grass. But I leave the screen propped open so she can come and go at will.

I find it interesting that, despite the lure of the wild beyond the door, she quickly returns to the patio and sits right at my feet. She looks around and surveys what is happening outside. But she never leaves my side again. I smile and rumple her caramel-colored mop. She settles down and stretches alongside my feet.

I marvel at that. Her loyalty, despite the excitement beyond the door. Was it a hard choice for her? Did she struggle between her devotion and her desires?

I cannot help but see a spiritual lesson here. Because for me, in my desire to be close to Jesus, to sit at His feet and walk by His side loyally, every part of every day, is a wrestling match between my desires. I so want to be close to Him, undecidedly so, yet the world beyond beckons so alluringly. I almost cannot help myself. Yet, I find myself looking back at Jesus from the world's yard, still sitting, waiting, with the screen door propped open, just in case I wish to return.

How beautiful it would be, and how simple, were my desires so undivided, so that no mater what lies beyond, no matter what is happening around me, I choose Jesus. 

Sweet, pure loyalty. Singular. Undivided.


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"A friend is always loyal..." Proverbs 17:17 (NLT)

"Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a loyal spirit within me." Psalm 51:10 (NLT)

"I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn't confide in slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father has told." John 15:15 (NLT)


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

God take us back, the place we began
The simple pursuit of nothing but you
The innocence of a heart in your hands
God take us back, oh God, take us back
To an unswerving faith in the power of your name
A heart beating for your kingdom to reign
A church that is known for your presence again
God take us back
Nothing and no one comes close to you
Nothing could ever come close
Nothing and no one, it's you, and you only
Nothing could ever come close
(Simple Pursuit // Passion)

No comments:

Post a Comment